Newspaper in Education Program
The USA WEEKEND in Education team has strategically designed a new program of free educational materials geared towards middle-school and high-school students. Our new program integrates Common Core State Standards and provides adaptable lessons for teachers to use in their classrooms over a few days or several weeks. Lessons direct students to use your newspaper, not USA WEEKEND.
- A valuable turnkey resource to offer to the schools in your community, free of charge
- Attracts the next generation of readers to your paper
- Increases circulation
- Strengthens ties to your community
- Provides local 501(c)(3) partnership opportunities
- Possible editorial opportunities
- Engaging, relevant curricula for students.
- Easy-to-use lessons for teachers. Student editions include charts and activity pages that allow students to take ownership of their learning. Teacher editions clearly outline each lesson and offer suggestions and adaptations to extend learning opportunities.
- Aligned with Common Core State Standards. These free resources offer teachers substantive lessons that focus on important standards that all students are striving to reach and exceed. The development of each lesson integrated Common Core State Standards for Language Art, History/Social Sciences and Technical Subjects.
- Connects to the local community. All materials direct students to explore the local print or e-Newspaper in order to connect their learning to their world — their local communities. This is a great way to make learning relevant and meaningful for students. In addition, students become more knowledgeable and aware of the issues and events that matter in their communities.
- Utilizes expository text. As emphasis shifts from narrative text to expository text in middle and high school, these materials engage students with a wealth of expository writing in their local newspaper.
- Adaptable lessons to fit your schedule. All materials may be used over a few days or several weeks depending on the needs and schedule of individual teachers.
Recommended timing: Throughout 2012-2013 school year
Lead2Feed is a student leadership program that encourages middle and high students to hone leadership skills through launching a service-learning project that solves hunger issues. A complete overview of the program is available on this One Sheet.
Lesson 1: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 2: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 3: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 4: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 5: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 6: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 7: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 8: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 9: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Lesson 10: Teacher Edition / Student Edition
Teachers must sign up. Please post this link on your website: www.lead2feed.com
Learn how to make the most of Lead2Feed with this Newspaper Tip Sheet.